Monday, May 7, 2007

SMS me or TEXT me

Dear SG,

Before I came to NZ, I was an avid SMS-er. I sms when I was walking, I sms when I was watching the tv, I sms even when I was in the toilet. My thumb goes into cold turkey mode if I didn't sms for a day. I clock up an average of 500 sms-es per month! I sms to send jokes, pictures, or just chat throughout the day with a couple of friends. SMS was my communication power tool.

And then I land in NZ and I had to learn how to talk all over again. Talking with real people I mean. There's no one to text here except for my darling husband and I can only do that when he goes to work. Oh... did you notice that I've automatically use the word "TEXT" instead of "SMS"? Now that's one differences I am going to highlight today. Kiwis don't use the word "SMS", they knows what it is but it's seldom used. Instead, they said, "We'll text you" which is the same as "We'll sms you". Younger kiwis text a lot too, but matured kiwis prefer to call and talk instead. Since Andrew and I belong to the young and reckless, we prefer to text each other, it is also way cheaper than calling. kekeke....

with love from NZ,
J

PS. I need to rush off now else I would have added the "Spot the differences". You won't believe how much the mobile bill here cost. Ciao!

1 comment:

moai said...

It cost $1.39 per minute for a mobile call in NZ.